Book a Breathalyzer Calibration
We recommend that all breathalysers are calibrated at least once a year
How to book a breathalyser calibration with us:
Step 1 – If you know what type of device you have, select the breathalyzer calibration service you require from the buttons below, and once you’ve completed the checkout process print a copy of the invoice. If you’re not sure what service you need, use our photo-flip selector at the bottom of this page to find your breathalyzer. Click on the picture and it will automatically select the right service for your device.
Step 2 – Package your breathalyzer up carefully (we’d suggest some bubble wrap & padded envelope at a minimum; if you have the original packaging, better still). Don’t forget to include a copy of your invoice with your breathalyzer – you’d be amazed how many turn up each month with nothing at all to tell us who they belong to! We would also suggest an insured delivery method; we recommend special delivery, that will cover your device for up to £500 should it go missing. Please note, the office does not open before 9am.
Step 3 – Send it to this address:
AlcoDigital Limited, Danhill Estate, Coolham Road, West Chiltington, West Sussex, RH20 2LH
(Please note that due to planning restrictions we cannot receive personal callers at this address)
£[/button][/one_fifth][one_fifth][button link=”https://www.romancart.com/cart.asp?itemcode=CAL/FUEL/EXIST&storeid=16607&quantity=1″ size=”XL” color=”#2CA4E8″ text=”light” window=”yes” class=”ald-button”]Personal
£[/button][/one_fifth][one_fifth][button link=”https://www.romancart.com/cart.asp?itemcode=CAL/PROF&storeid=16607&quantity=1″ size=”XL” color=”#2CA4E8″ text=”light” window=”yes” class=”ald-button”]Professional
£[/button][/one_fifth][one_fifth][button link=”https://www.romancart.com/cart.asp?itemcode=CAL/PROF/XPRESS&storeid=16607&quantity=1″ size=”XL” color=”#2CA4E8″ text=”light” window=”yes” class=”ald-button”]Pro Express
£[/button][/one_fifth][one_fifth][button link=”https://www.romancart.com/cart.asp?itemcode=CAL/PROF/COLLECT&storeid=16607&quantity=1″ size=”XL” color=”#2CA4E8″ text=”light” window=”yes” class=”ald-button”]Collect & Return
ALL breathalyzers should be calibrated at least once a year; those used for testing someone else (for example employee screening) should be checked every six months. Most breathalyzers will inform you in the manual after how many tests they require calibrating if within the 6/12 month time frame.
- How long does it take? To keep costs to a minimum, we carry out calibrations in batches approximately twice a week; on average it will take 4-5 working days to receive your device back after calibration.
- What happens if my unit fails its calibration? All alcohol testers have a finite lifespan. Looking after them with regular calibration servicing on an annual basis helps extend the sensor accuracy, however there will be a point at which the unit stops holding the calibration settings and is deemed a calibration failure. Unfortunately sometimes the only time this is established is when the unit has been sent into us, and is in the workshop undergoing its servicing. If this is the case, we will always contact you to check how you would like to proceed, and take all steps necessary to ensure a happy outcome – including offering a discount towards a replacement unit!
- Replaceable Sensor Device? (AL6000, AL7000, AlcoDigital Platinum) If you have a device that uses a replaceable sensor, the cost of the replacement sensor is included in the calibration service. Alternatively you can fit the new sensor yourself (to purchase, click here) but if we service it for you we will also check the device after fitment for accurate and correct operation.
- Need it back quickly? If you have a certified device which is constantly in use, select the Pro-Express service. We will calibrate your device individually as soon as it arrives and provided it arrives with us before 1pm, will return the device on a same-day basis. So if you use Royal Mail Special Delivery, you can have the breathalyzer back within 2 days of returning it to us (eg. send it Monday afternoon, you’ll have it back by 1pm on Wednesday) Please note, the office does not open before 9am.
- Want us to collect your Professional Breathalyzer? If you want us to take all the hassle out of the process we can offer you our Collect & Return, All Inclusive service. Just book your calibration online or call us on 0208 454 7372 and our couriers will collect your breathalyzer from your door. We’ll calibrate it within 48 hours of receiving it and have it back to you the next day.
Not sure what service you need?
Use our unique Photo-Flip Service Selector – just flip the photos below to find your breathalyzer, and click-to-book. Simple!!
Breathalyzer Calibration FAQs
Which breathalyzers can be re-calibrated?
All our breathalyzers can be calibrated. Above you can scroll through our new and old models to see if we can calibrate it. If you can not find your model you can call us on 0208 454 7372 and we’ll tell you if we can.
Can I recalibrate my breathalyser myself?
No; professional recalibration equipment is required along with and a licence from Customs & Excise is needed to purchase, store and use the materials required, so the detector must be returned to us for recalibration.
What if I have a detector with an exchangeable sensor?
If you have an AL6000, AL7000, AlcoDigital Platinum or AlcoDigital EON sensors are available from £19.95 that you can fit yourself – Buy Now
How often do breathalysers need to be calibrated?
Think of calibration as a service on your car; if you use the car a lot, you need to have it serviced more often – but even if your car just sits in the garage for most of the time, it still needs an annual service. Sometimes, leaving your car out of use can lead to more service work than using it regularly. It’s the same with a breathalyzer. Most people will do less than 500 tests a year, in which case an annual service will be fine, however if it spends long periods of time out of use, this in itself can lead to problems with the sensor drying out. It’s best to use it at least a couple of times a month to make sure this doesn’t happen.
Another reason for regular calibration is because if a breathalyzer hasn’t been recalibrated for some time it is possible that the sensor will move so far out of range that it cannot be brought back into the operating range. We therefore recommend personal devices be calibrated every 12 months, or if you’re using it to test someone else every 6 months. Using a detector within less than the minimum time after drinking (20mins) or smoking (10mins) can dramatically reduce a sensor’s life before it needs recalibrating, or in some cases replacing if excessive smoke/alcohol or other contaminants have been blown into the unit. Users must remember that these are sensitive medical instruments and must be used in accordance with the supplied User Guide.
How do I know if my unit needs calibrating?
When the readings start to lose consistency. 3 tests, each taken 2 minutes apart and with a consistent blow should produce readings within a narrow margin; the degree of “wander” will vary depending upon the quality of detector purchased but a regular user will become accustomed to the level of accuracy he/she would expect. When the readings start to vary too greatly for accurate use then the unit should be sent for calibration. If in doubt, please call us on 0208 454 7372 or contact us via our customer support centre.
Can you recalibrate a detector I’ve purchased elsewhere?
Possibly – we are authorised to calibrate over 58 devices currently available in the UK. Contact us and let us know what type of unit it is. If we can, we will.